Food Fridays : Västerbottenpaj
Welcome to the second episode of the year of Linnea Lund’s Food Fridays. Every Friday we share one of our favorite Swedish dishes for you and your loved ones to try out at home. Every day should be a time for sharing and exchanging recipes and traditions with family, friends and colleagues. This is why we want to share a little of our Swedish culture with you!
Today’s recipe is for the Västerbottenpaj: a classic among the treats for Easter, Midsummer, the crayfish dinner and Christmas. This recipe will not disappoint!
Ingredients for 8 servings:
▢ 104 g wheat flour
▢ 52 g graham flour
▢ 125 g butter plus ½ tablespoons for the pan
▢ 1 large egg
▢ 3 eggs
▢ 600 g of cream
▢ 100 ml milk
▢ 300 g Västerbottensost
▢ A pinch of salt
▢ 1 tsp black pepper
▢ Sour cream
▢ Chopped chives
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- For the dough: Mix flour and butter. Add the egg and mix quickly to form a dough.
- Press the dough into a pie dish, about 25 cm in diameter. Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Prick the bottom with a fork and pre-bake the crust in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- For the filling: whisk together eggs, cream and milk.
- Grate the cheese and mix the salt and black pepper into the egg mixture.
- Pour the filling into the pie dish on top of the crust and bake in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes until the filling has set.
Garnish as you wish and ENJOY!