Food Fridays : Vaniljsås
Welcome to this week’s episode of Linnea Lund’s Food Fridays where every Friday we share one of our favorite Swedish dishes for you and your loved ones to try out at home. We are so happy to share a little of our Swedish culture with you!
Today’s recipe is for the Vaniljsås! This vanilla sauce goes well with any desert! Try with the Appelkaka or with Kanelbullar for a creamy and delicious sweet touch.
▢ 1 vanilla pod
▢ 120 ml heavy whipping cream
▢ 180 ml full fat milk
▢ 2 egg yolks
▢ 2 tbsp caster sugar
▢ 2 tsp potato or corn starch
▢ 180 ml whipping cream
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways in two.
- Bring the cream, milk and vanilla pod to a boil in a non-stick sauce pan, stir constantly.
- Remove from the heat and leave the vanilla to infuse for 10-15 minutes
- Remove the pod. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and starch in another bowl. Stir in a little of the vanilla cream mixture.
- Pour into the rest of the vanilla cream mixture and simmer over a medium/low heat. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens. (Be careful not to rush this or the sauce might burn. Don't let it boil or the sauce will curdle.) Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the whipping cream until soft peaks are formed. Fold in the vanilla sauce until evenly mixed.
- Serve cold or gently warmed through with your favorite dessert.