Food Fridays : Schackrutor
Welcome to this week’s episode of Linnea Lund’s Food Fridays where every Friday we share one of our favorite Swedish dishes for you and your loved ones to try out at home. Every day should be a time for sharing and exchanging recipes and traditions with family, friends and colleagues. This is why we want to share a little of our Swedish culture with you!
Today’s recipe is for Schackrutor; cookies that have a fun checkered pattern! We served these this past Thursday at our weekly breakfast and they were a hit! We’ve obtained the recipes to share with you so that you may enjoy these from the comfort of your own home. If you are in Paris and aren’t much of a baker we recommend that you stop by Cafe Suedois and try theirs instead.
Bake a batch and share the sweetness. This is an easy recipe and perfect to impress your friends and colleagues!
▢ 235 g sifted all-purpose flour
▢ 200 g softened & unsalted butter
▢ 52 g caster sugar
▢ 2 tsp vanilla sugar
▢ 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Stir butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until smooth.
- With an electric whisk add the wheat flour. Whisk together into a dough with large crumbs.
- Press the dough into a ball and divide the ball into two parts
- Take one half of the dough and place in the bowl and add vanilla sugar.
- Take the other half of the dough and place in another bowl and add the cocoa.
- Press the dough into separate balls.
- Divide each ball of dough into 2 parts. You should be left with 2 cocoa and 2 vanilla dough balls.
- Roll out the balls into lengths, about 27 cm and press the lengths into a squared shape.
- Stack the dough of tubes into a checkered pattern.
- Wrap the square cookie dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out and remove the plastic wrap and place it on a cutting board. Cut about 3-4 mm thick pieces with a sharp knife.
- Place the cookies on baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies at 200°C for about 8-10 minutes. They should barely get any color.
- Let the cookies cool and serve!