Food Fridays : Chokladsnittar
Welcome to this week’s episode of Linnea Lund’s Food Fridays where every Friday we share one of our favorite Swedish dishes for you and your loved ones to try out at home. Every day should be a time for sharing and exchanging recipes and traditions with family, friends and colleagues. This is why we want to share a little of our Swedish culture with you!
Today’s recipe is for the best chocolatey cookies: chokladsnittar. The last time we served these from Cafe Suedois in our Thursday breakfasts they were gone within a second! We’ve obtained the recipes to share with you so that you may enjoy these from the comfort of your own home. But we do recommend that if you find yourself in Paris you stop by Cafe Suedois and try their freshly baked chokladsnittar.
This is an easy recipe and perfect to share with your friends and colleagues during fika. For those of you who are new to all things Sweden, fika is a Swedish tradition where people take a break and relax in the company of others while having coffee and a treat. How cool is that? Everyone at the Linnea Lund workshop has adopted this tradition and we suggest you do too!
▢ 300 g all-purpose flour
▢ 220 g caster sugar
▢ 200 g softened & unsalted butter
▢ 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
▢ 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla sugar)
▢ 1 tsp baking powder
▢ 1 egg
▢ 1 egg beaten for egg wash
▢ pearl sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, vanilla extract, and egg.
- Beat everything together until the mixture forms into a soft dough.
- Divide the mixture into 6 pieces.
- Working with 2 or 3 pieces per baking tray, roll each piece into a log, and roll each log into a long, flat, oval shape, with about 5 mm thickness.
- Brush each piece with some egg wash, and sprinkle generously with pearl sugar.
- Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes and make sure they don’t brown too much.
- While the cookies are still on the hot baking tray, cut them into 2 cm wide diagonal slices.
- Leave the cookies to cool and firm on the tray for 5-10 minutes.